WALL OF TEXT: SOCIAL MEDIA 2

 

WALL OF TEXT: SOCIAL MEDIA 2. I accidentally confirmed twitter de-prioritizes posts that contain links. The algorithm doesn’t show people my links. This means my effort to use twitter to promote my writing is keeping me hidden. The algorithm simply doesn’t show the post if it links anywhere. This kind of behavior should be considered monopolistic. It is killing the internet by consolidating it, forcing us to put everything on social media instead of on the myriad of other websites. Few people seek. So few click any links to take them anywhere else. The internet is not something to be explored anymore. “Surfed,” as we used to say. We have become accustomed to the algorithm feeding us what we see and hear, and now Twitter is showing me unsolicited right-wing propaganda. Fuck Elon Musk. Leaving social media is the thing to do, but will it solve anything? I dread the day when there is nowhere to go online besides Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter. Alternatives exist, but most people never see them because they generally don’t explore. They don’t click links. We are used to the internet attacking us—going to an unfamiliar website is a risk to your computer. We only trust the major sites. Youtube and such. It wasn’t always so, and I hope we wake up to what we have lost. The internet used to be open and free. Now it attacks us and we don’t like exploring it.

 




Comments

Popular Posts